Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Essay #2: Personal Narrative

I remember one day that I went to school on the first day but something was different. As I walked through the hall the air had a different scent than the Lower School, it hinted that something was different. I was in middle school now, walking through the top floor of Ordamin Hall. No more walking in single file lines, no being quiet in the hall ways; none of that stuff. Now I was in the middle school. I already knew the basic stuff: Higher expectations in exchange for more freedom, and we got more individual classes like History. I had been told all about that at visitation day, the first day was pretty boring, still adjusting to the new schedule. I guess the year would get better as it went. The best part of the day was probably the nostalgia from seeing all of my friends again, seeing how they’d changed in personality and appearance. Also there was a pack of new students that had come in that I hadn’t got used to yet.

I think going into the 5th grade changed my life because I had to be more dependable into lower school. It got stricter, such as having to pledge an honor code to say you haven’t cheated on tests and quizzes. Also the effort grades that weren’t in the lower school could make a huge difference on whether for you got into the Honor Role or not. The change that probably most affected me was the recess and lunch being trimmed down. Another major thing was that we no longer had cubbies but lockers. Lockers were kind of more private but also much more efficient than cubbies, especially for all the supplies we had. I couldn’t imagine having cubbies in 5th grade.

My 5th Grade was somewhat up & down; with the homework increase as a fourth grader, I easily completed my homework and rarely didn’t finish it. But in 5th grade homework slaughtered me. I had at least 15 homework cards in the whole school year, most because of poor time management. For instance, instead of doing my homework that I had to do on the computer first and then doing whatever I wanted, I usually explored the internet for an hour and then did homework. I do it occasionally now, but not usually. I usually want the homework assignments I have on computer to get done, instead of having my mom yell at me and staying up until 11’ with her watching me do my homework. It got annoying; I still hate it when she watches me now sometimes.

No comments: